My most recent paper on highlighting the importance of signal drift correction in diffusion MRI is now available online at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mrm.26124/abstract . It details the signal decrease observed over the scan duration in diffusion MRI, its effects on the diffusion metrics estimated from drift-affected data, and a processing method that can correct for the signal drift. This processing method has been implemented in Matlab and is available on Matlab's code-sharing platform: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/55008-signal-drift-correction-for-diffusion-mri-data
Since March 2014, Sjoerd is working jointly at the TIG and the MRI Unit at the Epilepsy Society, with the goal to improve MR imaging for presurgical evaluation, surgical planning, and intra-operative MRI in epilepsy patients. This will mainly focus on structural imaging, both conventional T1/T2/FLAIR as well as diffusion and vascular MRI. The work on presurgical evaluation will include research into new markers of previously undetectable epileptogenic foci, where the microstructural information from diffusion MRI could provide unique information on the location and structure of the focus. For surgical planning and intra-operative MRI, the use of higher-resolution and less-distorted diffusion MRI data may be beneficial to accurately reconstruct fiber bundles using fiber tractography.
Sjoerd obtained his BSc in Medical Natural Sciences and MSc in Medical Physics from the VU University Amsterdam, the Netherlands. After graduation he started as a PhD student at the PROVIDI Lab, part of the Image Sciences Institute in September 2009. The focus in his project was on the analysis of diffusion MRI data, more specifically diffusion tensor MRI (DT-MRI) and high angular resolution diffusion imaging (HARDI). These techniques can be used to investigate the microstructural organisation in the human brain. The aim of his project is to improve quantitative and qualitative analyses of these scans. During his PhD he spent six months at the Radiological Sciences Lab and the Center for Quantitative Neuroimaging at Stanford University, where he worked with Roland Bammer on high-resolution DWI acquisitions.
After his PhD, he did short-term post-doctoral research working closely with the Neurology department on improving the analysis of DTI data for Alzheimer's disease patients. Parallel to that, he was also affiliated to the ENT department (ear, nose, throat) to improve the imaging and analysis of diffusion MRI data to image the auditory nerve.
Awards & Honours
Sjoerd has also won the 2013 Art of Neuroscience award in the category 'Movies' for visualization of full brain HARDI data, made in ExploreDTI in collaboration with Alexander Leemans. The movie can be viewed here.
- S.B. Vos, C.M. Tax, P.R. Luijten, S. Ourselin, A. Leemans, M. Froeling, "The importance of correcting for signal drift in diffusion MRI", Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2016, in press;
- M. Lorenzi, I. Simpson, A.F. Mendelson, S.B. Vos, M. Jorge Cardoso, M. Modat, J. Schott, S. Ourselin, "Multimodal Image Analysis in Alzheimer's Disease via Statistical Modelling of Non-local Intensity Correlations", Scientific Reports, 2016, in press;
- M. Froeling, C.M. Tax, S.B. Vos, P.R. Luijten, A. Leemans, "The MASSIVE brain dataset: Multiple Acquisitions for Standardization of Structural Imaging Validation and Evaluation", Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2016, in press;
- S.B. Vos, M. Aksoy, Z. Han, S.J. Holdsworth, J. Maclaren, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, R. Bammer, "Trade-off between angular and spatial resolution in in vivo fiber tractography", NeuroImage, 2016, in press;
- B.E. Mouthaan, M. Rados, ... S.B. Vos, ... K.P.J. Braun, "Current use of imaging and electromagnetic source localization procedures in epilepsy surgery centers across Europe", Epilepsia, 2016, in press;
- M. Nowell, S.B. Vos, M. Sidhu, K. Wilcoxen, N. Sargsyan, S. Ourselin, J.S. Duncan, "Meyer's loop asymmetry and language lateralisation". J Neurol Neurosurg, Psychiarty, 2015, in press;
- B. Wandschneider, M. Koepp, C. Scott, C. Micallef, S. Balestrini, S. Sisodiya, M. Thom, R. Harper, J.W. Sander, S.B. Vos, J.S. Duncan, S. Lhatoo, B. Diehl, "Structural imaging biomarkers of sudden unexpected death in epilepsy". Brain, 2015;138(10):2907-19;
- D.B. Douglas, M. Iv, P.K. Douglas, A. Anderson, S.B. Vos, R. Bammer, M. Zeineh, M. Wintermark, "Diffusion tensor imaging in TBI - Potentials and challenges". Top Magn Reson Imaging 2015;24(5):241-51;
- R. Rodionov, P.A. Bartlett, C. He, S.B. Vos, N.K. Focke, S. Ourselin, J.S. Duncan, "T2 mapping outperforms normalised FLAIR in identifying hippocampal sclerosis". NeuroImage: Clinical, 2015;13(7):788-91;
- S.B. Vos, W. Haakma, H. Versnel, M. Froeling, L. Speleman, P. Dik, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, W. Grolman, "Diffusion tensor imaging of the auditory nerve in patients with long-term single-sided deafness". Hearing Research, 2015;323:1-8;
- A.T. Van, M. Aksoy, S.J. Holdsworth, D. Kopeinigg, S.B. Vos, R. Bammer, "Slab profile encoding (PEN) for minimizing slab boundary artifact in 3D diffusion-weighted multislab acquisition". Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2015;73(2):605-13;
- J.R. Maclaren, Z. Han, S.B. Vos, N. Fischbein, R. Bammer, "Test-retest reliability in brain volume measurements". Nature Scientific Data 2014, 1:140037;
- S.H. Aarnink*, S.B. Vos*, A. Leemans, T.L. Jernigan, K.S. Madsen, W.F.C. Baaré, "Automated Longitudinal Intra-Subject Analysis (ALISA) for diffusion MRI tractography". NeuroImage, 2014, 86, 404-416. *Authors contributed equally
- C.M. Tax, B. Jeurissen, S.B. Vos, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, "Recursive calibration of the fiber response function for spherical deconvolution of diffusion MRI data". NeuroImage 2014, 86, 67-80;
- S.B. Vos, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, "Multi-fiber visualizations for diffusion MRI data". PLoS ONE 2013, e81453;
- S.B. Vos, D.K. Jones, B. Jeurissen, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, "The influence of complex white matter architecture on the mean diffusivity in diffusion tensor MRI of the human brain". NeuroImage 2012, 59(3), 2208-2216;
- S.B. Vos, D.K. Jones, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, "Partial volume effect as a hidden covariate in DTI analyses". NeuroImage 2011, 55(4), 1566-1576;
- S.B. Vos, C.M. Tax, A. Leemans, "Diffusion MRI and Fiber Tractography: The State-of-the-Art and its Potential Impact on Patient Management". In: "PET Clinics 8:3", PET/MRI and Evolving Techniques, Elsevier. Editors: T. Kwee and H. Zaidi;
- C.M. Tax, S.B. Vos, A. Leemans, "Checking and Correcting DTI data". In: "Diffusion Tensor Imaging: A Practical Handbook", Springer. Editors: W. van Hecke, L. Emsell, and S. Sunaert
Conference abstracts (first-author only)
- S.B. Vos, M.J. Cardoso, M. Wylezinska-Arridge, D.L. Thomas, E. De Vita, M.C. Yiannakas, D. Carmichael, J.S. Thornton, O. Ciccarelli, J.S. Duncan, S. Ourselin, "Evaluation of 3D T1-weighted imaging across 3 T scanner vendors and models", ISMRM, 24th Scientific Meeting, Singapore, Singapore, 2016, p1167;
- S.B. Vos, A. Melbourne, J.S. Duncan, S. Ourselin, "Intracellular volume fraction estimation in vivo in single and crossing fibre regions", ISMRM, 24th Scientific Meeting, Singapore, Singapore, 2016, p2000;
- S.B. Vos, A. Melbourne, H. Zhang, J.S. Duncan, S. Ourselin, "The effect of white matter perfusion on diffusion MRI based microstructural tissue modes", ISMRM, 23th Scientific Meeting, Toronto, Canada, 2015, p. 475;
- S.B. Vos, W. Haakma, H. Versnel, M. Froeling, L. Speleman, P. Dik, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, W. Grolman, "Diffusion tensor imaging of the auditory nerve in patients with long-term single-sided deafness", ISMRM, 23th Scientific Meeting, Toronto, Canada, 2015, p. 2291;
- S.B. Vos, C.M.W. Tax, M. Froeling, A. Leemans, "In vivo investigations of accuracy and precision of fiber orientations in crossing fibers in spherical deconvolution-based HARDI methods", ISMRM, 22th Scientific Meeting, Milan, Italy, 2014, p. 976;
- S.B. Vos, C.M.W. Tax, F. Visser, P.R. Luijten, A. Leemans, M. Froeling, "The importance of correcting for B0-drift-induced global signal decrease in diffusion MRI", ISMRM, 22th Scientific Meeting, Milan, Italy, 2014, p. 4460;
- S.B. Vos, C.M.W. Tax, A. Leemans, "Importance of tractography seeding resolution for super-resolution in track density imaging", ISMRM diffusion workshop, Podstrana, Croatia, 2013;
- S.B. Vos, M. Aksoy, Z. Han, S.J. Holdsworth, C. Seeger, J. Maclaren, A. Brost, A. Leemans, R. Bammer, "HARDI and fiber tractography at 1 mm isotropic resolution", ISMRM, 21th Scientific Meeting, Salt Lake City, United States, 2013, p. 842;
- S.B. Vos, M. Aksoy, J. Maclaren, Z. Han, S.J. Holdsworth, A. Brost, C. Seeger, A. Leemans, R. Bammer, "High-spatial and high-angular resolution diffusion imaging with a fragmented acquisition scheme", ISMRM, 21th Scientific Meeting, Salt Lake City, United States, 2013, p. 3195;
- S.B. Vos, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, "Visualizing fiber pathways in regions with complex white matter architecture", ISMRM, 20th Scientific Meeting, Melbourne, Australia, 2012, p. 1914;
- S.B. Vos, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, "Tract Coherence Imaging (TCI): Quantifying the intra-voxel fiber tract heterogeneity", ISMRM, 20th Scientific Meeting, Melbourne, Australia, 2012, p. 3586;
- S.B. Vos, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, "The anisotropic bias of fractional anisotropy in anisotropically acquired DTI data", ISMRM, 19th Scientific Meeting, Montreal, Canada, 2011, p. 1945;
- S.B. Vos, D.K. Jones, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, "The appearance of the apparent diffusion coefficient in complex fiber architecture", ISMRM, 19th Scientific Meeting, Montreal, Canada, 2011, p. 1999;
- S.B. Vos, D.K., Jones, A. Leemans, "Mean diffusivity changes in crossing fibers voxels in DTI", CONNECT meeting, Tel Aviv, Israel, 2011;
- S.B. Vos, D.K. Jones, M.A. Viergever, A. Leemans, "Partial volume effect as a hidden covariate in tractography based analyses of fractional anisotropy: Does size matter?", ISMRM, 18th Scientific Meeting, Stockholm, Sweden, 2010, p 113.